About This Book
Blake’s Writer’s Guide will provide you with the tools you need to be a successful writer. It will help you gain knowledge about the use of the different text types for different purposes and develop concepts about meeting the needs of your audience.
This guide contains:
- Sections on each key element for developing good writing skills.
- A comprehensive examination of the three broad groups of texts: imaginative, informative and argumentative.
- Annotated text examples accompanied by easy-to-follow lists of structure and language features.
- A step-by-step guide through the writing process
- Helpful hints for note-taking and researching topics
- Guidelines for proofreading and editing your own texts
- A glossary with concise definitions for all the major terms (includes examples)
- Tools every author needs to have and how to use them
- Handy ideas for enhancing your texts with graphics and creative layouts
This guide is split up into two parts.
Part 1: The Writing Process
Provides step-by-step instructions on the five stages of the writing process:
- Drafting revising
- Editing/ Proofreading
The traits of good writing and the tools of an author are also examined in detail.
Part 2: Text Types
Explains what text types and genres are and features several samples of imaginative, informative and argumentative texts. Each text sample is shown with annotations that highlight their specific language and structure features.
The text types examined in the guide are:
Imaginative/ Narrative texts:
- Dramatic plays
- Expositions (arguments)
- Letters to the editor
- Factual recounts
Author: Merryn Whitfield
- Year 1
- Year 2
- Year 3
- Year 4
- Year 5
- Year 6
- Publication Edition Date:
- 250 mm (h) x 180 mm (w)
- Blake's Guides
- Merryn Whitfield
- Reference Books