Mental Maths is the maths we do in ur heads without the use of calculators and without writing down the calculation. Mental Maths strategies are the tricks we use to do Maths in ur heads. There are different ways of finding the answer to any Mental Maths problem, and such strategies are the focus of this series. Even though calculators and computers play a big role in the modern world, we still need to go back to the basics. Mental Maths has become more important than ever and new primary Maths syllabuses in Australia are reflecting this. For example, NSW has placed an emphasis on Mental Maths in its primary syllabus, and even the Year 10 School Certificate examination has a compulsory non-calculator section. Features of this book include:-
- 32 double-page units of Mentals are included - 8 units for each school term
- Each unit is divided into four sets (A,B,C and D) of 20 questions each
- Each numbered question covers particular Maths topics throughout the book: for example, Question 1 always covers addition, while Question 20 always covers geometry
- A special help section at the front of the book gives different strategies and explanations to help students solve Mentals problems. These are also numbered so they link to the question numbers in each Mentals unit
- A fun spot unit, containing fun activities, and a revision unit are included at the end of each 8 units
- Extra practice sections which reinforce particular strategies appear in the lower part of each page
- Answers to all questions are in a lift-out section in the centre of the book.